The Mill

The river was very wide and shallow and the ancient ford was probably just a stone-surfaced track across the marsh until the town bridge was built in the 13th century. In 1787 the river was dug out and channelled into the much narrower and deeper course it follows today.

The present Mill, built in the 17th century on the site of a much older mill, was worked until the 1920’s. It was used for grinding corn but had once been used for fulling cloth.

Fairford didn’t become a weaving centre because the river lacked the necessary power to run heavy machinery.