The Railway came to Fairford on 15th January 1873 when the East Gloucester Rail Company opened a branch line from Witney near Oxford to a terminus one mile east of the town.
The old Fairford Flier had an overall speed restriction of 50mph and its 21 mile journey took 1 hour 11 minutes. There were ten stops on the way.
The line brought coal for the Fairford Gas and Coke Company, formed in 1852, one of the first in the country. The company stopped local production in 1936 as electricity had come to Fairford in 1931. See the Fairford History Society website for more details on the Railway.