WELCOMING DISABLED YOUNG PEOPLE – Meeting
Welcoming disabled young people
The members of South Cotswolds Parent Carers Support Group all have a disabled son or daughter. Like other parents we’d love our children to be involved in lots of things in the local community. But too often at the moment they can’t join in – usually because either we or you are worried that it won’t work. So we are working with Philip Douch of Active Impact and Heather McCulloch at Cotswold District Council to help local organisations understand what our young people need (for more details about us all, please see next page). We recognise that many organisations are not used to involving disabled people and are understandably nervous about doing so. We want to work with you all to make it easier to make a success of including our children and involving other disabled young people too.
Please come and meet us at Fairford Community Centre on SATURDAY 14th JANUARY from 10.30am – 12.00 noon
You can bring and share information about the activities you offer.
- We will talk with you about anything you already do – and what else you could consider doing – to make it easier for you to feel comfortable about enabling disabled young people to have a positive experience.
- We will give you details of a half day training course which we hope that you and/or some of your colleagues will want to attend.
- We will introduce you to the district council’s Inclusion Mark scheme, a quality mark that organisations can achieve to demonstrate your commitment to including disabled people.
Please do let us know before Christmas whether you and/or a colleague can join us on Saturday 14th January. We will then send final details early in January. Details of how to reply to us are on the next page (below). We’d love you to be involved in helping improve the lives of our children and young people.
Thank you very much.
Karen Robinson – on behalf of the South Cotswolds Parent Carers Support Group
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR ACCOMPANYING SHEET WITH MORE INFO AND REPLY SLIP
South Cotswolds Parent Carers Support Group brings together parents of disabled children and young people from across the south east of the Cotswolds.
Heather McCulloch is Shared Healthy Communities Manager at Cotswold and West Oxfordshire District Councils. She and the district council are keen to promote wider opportunities for disabled young people and their families and are working in partnership with Active Impact to help achieve this.
Philip Douch is a nationally recognised trainer and writer about the inclusion of disabled people. His work with Active Impact in Gloucestershire is designed to increase opportunities for disabled children and young people. That work is funded principally by Gloucestershire County Council.
Please let us know before Christmas whether you and/or a colleague can come to our event in one of these ways:
- Print and post this completed slip to Philip Douch, Active Impact, 11 Bridge Mead, Stroud GL5 4BP
- Phone Philip, giving the details below, at Active Impact on 01453 298337
- E-mail Philip, giving the details below at email@example.com
DELETE as appropriate below:
- I/We can come on Saturday morning 14th January
- I/We cannot come on Saturday morning 14th January but would like to be kept in touch.